Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Who may use ILL
Hartzler Library provides interlibrary loan for faculty, staff and enrolled students.
Due to budget limitations we do not provide interlibrary loan services for other patrons including those with a Hartzler Library Community Card.
We recommend Community Patrons check with their local public library about interlibrary loan services they might provide.
ILL and Copyright
- Hartzler Library complies with copyright law and follows guidelines for best practices.
- Copyright fees apply after we receive more than five articles per journal title per calender year for journals published within the last five years (This is the "rule-of-five" from the CONTU guidelines). If a sixth request is made for an article within the same publication a fee is acquired that ranges from $30-$50 per article, which the library will absorb. If you wish to submit a request for an entire issue, please contact the ILL Department, and the staff will investigate if it is possible to purchase the issue.
- Hartzler library pays the copyright fees for the copies we receive, unless you are contacted by ILL staff.
- Interlibrary loan services are intended to support learning, teaching and research for faculty, staff and enrolled students at Eastern Mennonite University.
There are no charges for an interlibrary loan unless we contact you to discuss the lending library’s cost.
You are expected to comply with any special instructions (i.e. in-library use only) and the due date listed on the book strap. Interlibrary loan items not returned on-time will generate a fine of $5.00 per day per item.
Search for Open Access articles
Are there restrictions on what I can request?
- Do not request materials owned by EMU. You may place holds on materials that are checked out.
- Do not request textbooks
- Please adhere to all due dates and policies, such as "In Library Use Only" the Lending Library has imposed.
- If an item is recalled by the Lending Library you will be expected to return the item promptly.